May 19, 2019
Happy Sunday, and May 19th! Wow, how the heck is it the middle of May already, the 19th (again – ha), and I am back from a week long food and wine retreat in Burgundy, France? At least it is sunny here in Baltimore, although hot as ALL get out! At least it is not raining like it, apparently, was here all last week! Luckily, the weather in France was GORGEOUS – blue skies, sun, and brisk, with highs in the low 60’s during the day.
I write this, today, reflecting on the experience that I just had. I have made reference to the fact that I was SO incredibly nervous & anxious prior to my leaving, and, as I sit here, remembering what I was doing this time last week, I am breathing a sigh of relief (because I have a BIG cup of coffee with cream in hand, LOL)! All joking aside, I am giving myself the “you f-ing” did it, Janine pat on the back.
And that is exactly what I want to focus on for this month's "12 Reasons '19' Has My Heart" series.
Reason #8: Believing in Myself When Everyone Else Was Already Believing in Me!
Okay, okay, YES, I have always believed in myself, but I have been told that I need to believe in myself a little deeper. I need to peel back the layers. Expose myself, to myself. Know that I am a confident, intelligent, savvy individual who has been through a LOT in my 33 years, YET, is still standing on two feet, building a business empire, traveling solo, and living a life that is Fit4Me. I get it, I know it, and everyone keeps telling me that I am going to make it big.
But it can still be a struggle.
Standing in the ridiculously long line to get through the Border Control at the Charles de Gaulle airport yesterday, holding my bag of designer purchases, I remember thinking – “Wow, you are doing something that you never thought you would do. You have the power to do what you want, travel when you want, buy what you want without any criticism, drink multiple glasses of champagne in flight because WHO CARES, get home and go out late for dinner and drinks because WHY NOT, the jet lag will always be there, and so on!”
This trip provided a personal game changer for me and, yes Mom, you were absolutely right! Not only did I make connections with people from all over the U.S., but I gained another layer of confidence to say that I can go to Europe, for the first time, meet up with complete strangers, work on being true to me, and remembering to trust the process the entire time! J It is pretty amazing what that can do for your heart, soul, and mindset! One of the gals on the trip told me on Friday over drinks that she was so impressed that I came on this trip, not knowing anyone, while the case for most, but that I toured the city like a seasoned traveler without any qualms.
Again, another reminder that I am doing it, and can DO THIS, even when I don’t even realize it!
Before I go, I did want to share some things from my trip that may be helpful for YOU the next time you travel abroad, specifically to Paris.
- AMEX is not a favorite card; yes, it has been touted as being “universal,” but I was put into more situations of “you don’t accept” and needing to leave (once included after having a few sips of wine I ordered).
- CASH; hmm, such a fine line about bringing enough but not carrying that much with you. The whole pickpocketed thing is absolutely real, and one of the gals on our trip got $250 swiped on the subway our 1st day!
- Paris is a beautiful city, but I am not a huge fan of the arrogance and unfriendliness, at least, that is how I felt. Once we got to Burgundy, I did not feel it as much, as guess because we were at a pretty remote Chateau.
- It does not matter how many Louis Vuitton locations there are, I, still, was one of those who was running to get in line with everyone else. WTF. They were not giving anything away, THAT is for sure! Maybe it is because everyone wants a bag that they can turn around and sell on eBay for BIG BUCKS!
- SO happy I brought a variety of coats to wear for this time of year – a jean jacket, “motorcycle” jacket, blazer, rain jacket, etc. I mixed and matched with jeans, joggers, shorts & dresses (although I never wore either), etc. With the mornings and evenings on the cooler side, it was just perfect!
- And, if anything, less shoes and more tees and tops!
Hope your Sunday is AMAZING! Ahh, so happy to be back home, in my routine, and embracing all the space that I have! Oh, and did I mention ALL THE COFFEE?!?!
P.S. In case you have missed them, here are the past "12 Reasons Why "19" Has My Heart" posts:
top blog posts
May 26, 2020
Taco & Tequila Tuesday: It's Smokin'!continue reading
May 19, 2020
Taco & Tequila Tuesday: A Bloody Good Cocktail Meets a Mexican Inspired Appetizer!continue reading
May 17, 2020
Dreaming About October 3rd, and My Take on the Black Eyed Susan!continue reading
May 12, 2020