July 8, 2020
Okay, really, is it spelled "kebab" or "kabob?" What is politically correct here? Is this the same as you saying "po-tay-to" and I say "po-tah-do." Oh, this is getting just plain silly now. What is not silly are chicken shish kebabs!
Hard to believe it is Wednesday - it's hard to believe it is 1/2 way through 2020 - and I have, finally, gotten my act together to share this recipe that I made over the 4th of July weekend. There is something about shish kebobs that are fun, and they turn a barbecue into a colorful masterpiece. Plus, you can put your creative spin on it as well!
The only downfall? Those darn wooden sticks! They are so f-ing sharp! Does not matter how careful I am sliding on the various pieces of the kebab, I still have the battle wounds left. All good cooks have remnants of their work, right?
This recipe can be prepped the day before, or on the same day - your choice! It really has to do with how long you want to marinate the protein & veggies.
One of my absolute go-to's when it comes to purchasing protein is my monthly subscription of Butcher Box! Not only is affordable - you can choose from 2 box sizes - it is convenient and the quality is unbeatable. Choose from chicken, beef, pork, seafood, and more! Sustainably sourced, grass-fed, heritage-bred, free-range, etc. Even better, you can customize ALL. I get a custom box where I can pick what I want but you can also choose one that is mixed (Butcher Box will select for you), a combination of beef & pork, beef & chicken, or all beef.
Due to Covid-19, there is a waitlist to be part of their subscription plan (this can be customized to 2, 4, 6, or 8 week shipments) but make sure to check their site often, and I promise to keep you updated as well. This will include a $30 discount too! Man, I am already excited about my next box, and I just got July's LAST WEEK! It's the little things in life!
Let's get grilling! FYI: These pair beautifully with my "Wasted Watermelon Cocktails!"
Chicken Shish Kebabs
For the Kebab:
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (I chose my Butcher Box thighs)
- 2-3 zucchini, sliced 3/4-1 inch thick
- 2-3 yellow squash, sliced 3/4-1 inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into squares
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced into squares
- 1 large red onion, sliced into squares
- 10-12 wooden kebab skewers
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup good quality EVOO
- 1/3 cup all natural honey, organic preferable
- 1/3 cup Bragg's Amino Acids
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. Begin by cubing chicken, slicing vegetables, and preparing marinade (2 batches).
2. Placing chicken in one Ziploc bag, and the veggies in another, pour 1 batch of marinade into each. Toss to coat, and let refrigerate up to 8 hours or even overnight.
HUGE TIP: Make sure to soak your skewers in water (completely covered) so you don't lose some of it to the grill flame! 30 minutes is the minimum; ideally overnight. To be honest, I did 30-60 minutes and they were just fine!
5. Now, it's time to assemble the kebab! There is no right or wrong way to do this; you can make it as protein and veggie heavy as you would like. I chose to put together as followed: chicken, zucchini, red pepper, yellow squash, red onion, chicken, repeat. I am all about alternating colors but, again, customize the shish kebabs however you see fit (and pleasing to the eye and belly)!
4. Place shish kebabs on a piece of foil, and grill over medium high heat for ~10-15 minutes, rotating every 3 or so minutes until all 4 sides are cooked!
Serve with your veggie of choice and, voila, and fabulous Summer feast that is satisfying, delicious, and light! Enjoy!
Seasons of Love
2 Health Nuts
'Tis The Season
Cheese & Charcuterie